Prepare for Rain Damage
It has been a rainy week here in Hattiesburg, MS! Our team has been busy responding to calls due to roof leaks, groundwater intrusions, and an unfortunate part of excessive rain, sewage backups.
Water Damage is Serious.
It's important to identify any potential openings for water intrusion before it happens. Although, identifying potential causes can be difficult until a damage actually occurs, there are some ways that you can be proactive that can have a serious impact on preventing damages.
- Roof Inspection: having your roof inspected (especially if it is an older roof and has weathered many storms!) is an important item in your toolkit for preventing water damage. Our area is not a stranger to bad weather including tornadoes, tropical storms, or hurricanes. Even if you may not experience water damage, regular roof maintenance can be especially helpful in reducing risk for future damage.
- Identify potential causes for other water intrusion. Water can enter the home in a variety of ways whether that be due sealant failure around doors and windows, sump-pump failure, or drainage issues related to landscaping. If you notice any of these issues following decent raining, it is important to get these issues repaired before another storm. And, especially so as we enter hurricane season!
We're Here to Help.
SERVPRO of Hattiesburg can help you identify and repair these issues if you experience damage. We have the knowledge and resources to complete all of the necessary interior and exterior repairs - as well as drying if necessary - to make your water damage "Like it never even happened." If you suffer water damage, call the experts at SERVPRO of Hattiesburg. We're available 24/7/365: 601-544-0512.
It's safe to say that most understand that hurricanes, tropical storms, tropical depressions, and tornadoes are dangerous weather events common in our area. However, unless you live near the Gulf Coast and have experienced these weather events, you may not realize that serious storms like hurricanes and tropical storms are often accompanied by tornadoes. Unfortunately, it is not only the wind damage from the hurricane or tropical storm that requires a safety plan, but also the very real threat of tornadoes.
Ready.gov is a wonderful resource for identifying ways that you can prepare for a tornado, stay safe during a tornado, and stay safe after a tornado.
Like all serious storms, in preparing for a tornado, it is important to know your area's risk, to know the signs of a tornado, and to heed local warnings. Unfortunately, our risk is very high like most of the Southeast. This is why making a plan for your family and pet(s) before the damage is so important. Having a physical shelter whether that be a dedicated storm shelter ideally or a small, windowless room within the interior of the home on the lowest level and preparing for the potential for long term sheltering in place can have life-saving consequences.
After the Storm
Safety is still a priority after the storm. Damaged electrical or structural support is a very real threat if you experienced damage. We suggest that you look to Ready.gov for a list of ways you can stay safe following a tornado. Once all is clear, contact your locally owned restoration contractor SERVPRO of Hattiesburg: 601-544-0512. As members of your community, we are always Here to Help.
Here to Help!
One of our clients recently called us regarding a flooded auditorium. Knowing the size of the auditorium, we knew that specialty drying techniques would be required in order to restore the affected area to preloss condition.
A determining factor in the choosing the amount and type of dehumidification required for a space is the volume of the space. While the tenting certainly looks impressive, the damage was not actually large enough to necessitate a desiccant dehumidifier, but due to the high ceilings, it did require that the volume of the space be reduced so that the equipment could run more efficiently, increasing the rate of evaporation and through dehumidification removing the moisture from the air. Tenting is not always feasible due to a variety of factors, but it is certainly effective in specialty drying situations such as that of an auditorium.
Specialty Drying Needed?
If you have a case that is beyond the typical approach, call SERVPRO of Hattiesburg. We recognize that not all mitigation projects are the same, and our team of experts is trained to assess your facility's individual needs. We're available 24/7/365. Call 601-544-0512 or submit a customer inquiry through our website here.
Kitchen Fire Damage
Even small house fires can cause damage. From grease to odor, many people may not realize that even small fires can cause soot stains on their walls and leave difficult to remove greasy residue on the walls, floor, and ceiling.
So, what should you do if you have a fire damage? Getting help as soon as possible is the best way to help reduce overall costs and additional repairs. SERVPRO of Hattiesburg and our team of trained professionals will respond to your home or business as soon as we receive your call.
No Job is Too Big or Too Small
Many don't realize that even smaller fires make need professional help remediating. Even if the home does not require reconstruction such as painting, flooring replacement, or other repairs, cleaning and deodorization may be required to remove soot stains, grease stains, and/or odor. Even small cooking fires can leave greasy soot on your walls, leave lingering malodor, and ashes can fall on your carpet, rugs, and upholstered furniture.
Call SERVPRO of Hattiesburg
Our team of professionals are experts in remediating fire and smoke damaged property and contents. We have been trained and certified to help restore after fire and smoke damage to the structure and contents through the IICRC. The IICRC is the standard in the restoration industry. Choosing a company that is both firm certified with technicians who are individually certified ensures you are working with professionals who truly know what they’re doing. Even after small damages our team can help by using cleaning agents designed to break down acidic soot residue and grease, utilize odor-reducing equipment, such as hydroxyl generators and thermal foggers, and professionally clean your carpet, rugs, and upholstery to reduce malodors and remove soot.
Here at SERVPRO of Hattiesburg, we have access to advanced technology designed to remediate the damages inside of your home. Using state of the art equipment and techniques, you can trust our team to help get your life back to normal after a fire.
Choosing a Restoration Vendor to Handle Your Personal Property
During the move out process, our team will pack your items with care before they are moved into an offsite facility for cleaning and storage.
House fires or large water leaks can be devastating. There's quite a bit more that goes into restoring the property back to preloss condition, or making it "Like it never even happened," than simply choosing a contractor.
Choosing a Restoration Vendor
Sometimes, some or all of the personal property must be packed and moved out of the home for storage and cleaning in order to perform the demo, cleaning, and rebuild of structure. By choosing SERVPRO of Hattiesburg, you can rest assured that your personal property will be treated with the utmost care while it is in our hands. We have a wide variety of certifications from the IICRC that will ensure your personal property is cared for and restored using state of the art equipment, tools, and methods. While the repairs are being completed, our team will complete your content restoration so that your items are ready to be delivered once the repairs are complete. If the contents restoration is completed before the repairs are complete, we will store the personal property at our facility until you are ready to be moved back.
If you experience an unexpected disaster, we are here to help. Contact our office via phone (601)544-0512 or submit an inquiry through our website.
Tornado Damage... What Now?
Preparing Before the Storm
Choosing a restoration vendor to mitigate and rebuild after storm damage can be one of the most important decisions that you make when it comes to the recovery of your property.
We often receive questions about how to prepare for tropical storms, hurricanes, and tornadoes in order to make the restoration process as seamless and easy as possible.
While each facility is different, and each storm for that matter, there are two tips that apply in all circumstances.
- Choose your restoration vendor ahead of time.
- Resources are always limited after a hurricane, tornado, or major disaster. By choosing your vendor ahead of time, you give your vendor the opportunity to allocate resources for your building(s) in the event of a damage.
- Allow your vendor to discuss the restoration process with key decision makers.
- Educating your staff or other decision makers beforehand will provide them with confidence and knowledge, and setup realistic expectations of the standards and practices of the insurance restoration process following a large loss. A hurricane is unlikely to happen every year, and with staff changes, it would be a good practice to invite your vendor to briefly present once a year in order to keep the current board educated and to go over any changes that may come up.
CHOOSE SERVPRO of Hattiesburg
As leaders in the storm and water damage industry, we have advanced training and expertise as well as a tremendous amount of hands-on experience. We are a local company with national resources, and have access to the resources and personnel of 1,700 franchise partners to handle major storms and catastrophic disasters. If your building or facility has storm damage, choose SERVPRO of Hattiesburg: (601)544-0512.
Common Causes of Fire Damage
Home electrical fires account for 51,000 fires each year, and an estimated $1.3 billion in property damage. Learn these common causes of fire damage to prevent fire damage in your home or business:
Many electrical fires are caused by faulty electrical outlets or outdated appliances. Frayed appliance cords can also lead to electrical fires. Under no circumstances should you ever remove the ground plug from an appliance cord. These appliance cords are only to be used with outlets that can handle the extra amount of electricity.
Another cause of electrical fires is the misuse of extension cords. Extension cords are only to be used on a temporary basis and not as permanent wiring. Extension cords can overheat and cause fires when not used properly. Never should you run extension cords through walls and ceilings, and never use nails or staples to hold an extension cord in place.
Space heaters are also a major cause of electrical fires. Space heaters should always be kept on a flat, level surface to prevent being turned over. These portable heaters are often placed too close to curtains, beds, and other combustible surfaces. Remember to always keep space heaters at least three feet from items that can burn.
Commercial Cleaning Services
Whether you need cleaning for a commercial office or require industrial cleaning services, your local SERVPRO of Hattiesburg can help. You don’t have time to worry about the common wear and tear that gradually soils your office or warehouse. When grime, odor, and moisture challenges go beyond the scope of your regular janitorial staff, call in your local SERVPRO of Hattiesburg team. Whether it’s removing an odor problem or deep cleaning flooring or carpets, you can rely on SERVPRO of Hattiesburg Professionals to make your workspace or warehouse look its very best.
SERVPRO of Hattiesburg will get the job done right and get it done quickly, because the SERVPRO Advantage includes these benefits:
- Award-winning training
- Over 40 years’ experience in the industry
- More than 100 exclusive cleaning products
Have Questions? Call Today 601-544-0512 or 228-467-4450
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned
Our Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned defensive cleaning program gives your business a way forward to provide your employees and customers ongoing safety as you operate after the COVID-19 pandemic.
Specialty Cleaning Services
SERVPRO of Hattiesburg offer cleaning services ranging from cleaning restaurant hoods to removing biohazard contaminants. They have the specialized training and products to get your property back to business. Their cleaning services include the following:
- Air Ducts and HVAC
- Carpet and Upholstery
- Ceilings, Floors, and Walls
- Document Restoration
- Drapes and Blinds
- Odor Removal
- Trauma and Crime Scene
What is SERVPRO of Hattiesburg's "Standard of Care"?
Commercial Restoration can be a very specific and detail oriented business. All commercial projects com loaded with many different shifting and complicated variables like source of water, Affected building materials, date of water intrusion, water category and class as well as the type of business that you are dealing with. Following the guidelines for the proper industry Standard of Care provides a project template key metrics for an optimal outcome for our commercial water damage restoration customers. SERVPRO of Hattiesburg is committed to following and documenting the proper Standard of Care throughout the entire commercial water damage restoration project. At SERVPRO we will get your property back in order "Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO Standard for “Standard of Care”
The standard of care in the Commercial Restoration industry is pretty easy to find through the IICRC. The Standard of Care in Commercial Water Damage (S550) is a procedural industry standard for performing water damage restoration in commercial, industrial institutional, and complex residential structures, systems and furniture, fixtures and equipment. The Standard of Care is determined and updated by the restoration industry governing body, the IICRC (Institute of Inspection Cleaning Restoration Certification)
Why is Water Damage Restoration Standard of Care Important?
Following the Standard of Care matters on commercial water damage restoration projects because SERVPRO of Hattiesburg is committed to providing the industry’s optimal efficiency and outcome for every customer in every circumstance. Choosing SERVPRO of Hattiesburg as your restoration contractor ensures that your loss will be mitigated according to the highest industry standards, saving you time and money against recurring or secondary loss such as structural instability or microbial growth. Following the Standard of Care for commercial water damage restoration gets you back in business and protects your structure, customers, employees, and reputation.
Furthermore, should the loss be an insurance claim, the carrier will expect and require adherence to the Standard of Care in order to consider the claim. Accurate documentation includes detailed photographs of the loss and the progress, the Advanced Record of Drying Conditions Report, Inspection Report (updated daily during the drying period).
Standard of Care – a professional company will provide documentation and proof of work.
As a valued commercial ERP (Emergency Response Program) customer, you are presented with your Standard of Care Packet following the successful mitigation of the loss. Your representative will review this packet with you in a debriefing conversation. The document is for your records in case a question arises or should you decide to sell the property. The Standard of Care Restoration Packet includes photographs of the loss, the drying documents, the work authorization, and any other documents specific to your loss and industry.
Standard of Care – Your Goal is Our Goal
The Standard of Care in commercial water damage restoration is sophisticated and can be complicated to execute successfully, but choosing SERVPRO of Hattiesburg for your commercial water loss makes it easy for you. You call us… we take care of the details for you.
For more information on our Commercial Water Damage services please contact SERVPRO of Hattiesburg at 601-544-0512 or 228-467-4450, or contact us to get started on an Emergency Response Plan for your business.
Top Causes of Fires
Home and business fires can be devastating. The smoke and resulting fire damage can destroy not only you building and personal property, but can also cause injury or even death. It's important to practice safety and be aware of how fires occur so that we can avoid them at all costs. The causes of fires can vary regionally and even seasonally, but their impact is the same. We won't go into these subsets today, but we will discuss the most common causes that affect the US on a national level. So, what are the most common causes of home fires?
According to the NFPA, the top causes of fires are the following:
- The NFPA writes, "Cooking was the leading cause of reported home fires and home fire injuries in 2015-2019 and the second leading cause of home fire deaths. Cooking caused 49 percent of reported home fires, 20 percent of reported home fire deaths, and 42 percent of home fire injuries. In 2019, Thanksgiving was the peak day for home cooking fires, followed by Christmas Day and Christmas Eve." Wow!
- Heating is the second leading cause of home fires. In addition to the devastating damage, fires caused by heating result in an average of $1.1 billion in direct property damage each year. As we approach winter, it's important to practice safety and educate yourself as well as your family on proper safety protocols with heating, especially space heaters.
- Electrical fires are most commonly caused by issues with electrical outlets. It's important to contact a qualified electrician if you experience any of the following:
- Frequent problems blowing tripping breakers
- A static or tingling feeling when you touch an electrical appliance
- Discolored or warm wall outlet or item that has been plugged into a wall outlet
- A burning or rubbery smell
- Flickering or dimming lights
- Sparks or smoking from an outlet
- While smoking accounts for the smallest percentage of home fires, it accounts for over 1/5th of home fire related deaths. If you or a family member smokes, remember that it's best to smoke outside! This goes for e-cigarettes, too, which also fall into this category.
- When we receive fire and smoke related calls caused by candles, it's most often because the caller forgot to extinguish before going to bed or leaving the home. In the hustle and bustle of the holidays, it can be easy to forget something like this! According to the NFPA, more fires caused by candles are reported on Christmas Day than any other day of the year. If you know you will be leaving your home, put your candle in an open place on your counter next to your keys so that you can remember to extinguish the flame before leaving the house. It's also helpful to have someone help you remember or setting a reminder before you light it if you are prone to forgetting. And, for the best tip of all, if the day is hectic like for many on Christmas, just wait to light it once you can enjoy it.
We hope this information serves you and that you can use it to educate yourself as well as your loved ones.
If you experience property damage as a result of a fire, SERVPRO of Hattiesburg is here to help. We are available 24/7/365 and can be reached by phone 601-544-0512 or 228-467-4450 or email marketing@SERVPRObaldwincounty.com. Stay safe!