If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (601) 544-0512

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

How to Reduce Your Risk of Fire Damage | SERVPRO® of Hattiesburg

5/19/2023 (Permalink)

 img src =”fire” alt = " a person plugging a cord into a surge protector” > Reduce your home's risk for fire by following these steps. If disaster strikes, SERVPRO of Hattiesburg is here to help you recover.

The unfortunate thing about house fires is that they can happen to anyone at any time. Even if you do your best to prepare and prevent one, accidents and the unexpected can occur and can leave you with a large mess and a lot of questions.

Thankfully, there are some things you can do to reduce your risk of experiencing a house fire. Most of the steps we have laid out below just require a little extra forethought and planning during your everyday activities, but can pay off in a big way if your home stays fire-free and your family stays safe.

Be Cautious With Your Electronics

Your electronics have the ability to malfunction at any point. Don’t give them the tools they need to spark a fire! Unplug things like your toaster, computers and gaming systems when they are not in use.

Even if they are turned off, there is still electricity coursing through them. That heat can build up, overheat your electronics and start a fire.

You should also consider getting a surge protector. If you have a part of your home that has a lot of electrical outlets in use, you should ensure that if there is any sort of energy surge for any reason, your electronics will be safe. It only takes a small amount of voltage to damage an electronic enough to malfunction, overheat or just catch on fire.

Stay Present Around Any Flame

All it takes is a responsible adult looking away for one moment for a fire to catch and spread. This can happen anywhere there is open flame or heat occurring. You should always be present in the kitchen while you are cooking.

Grease fires can erupt without much warning, or a flammable kitchen utensil or towel can easily get bumped into the flame, causing widespread damage in mere minutes. You should also never leave a candle unattended and certainly never leave one burning while you are asleep.

This also includes being present around any bonfires or while you are grilling your next dinner. Your bonfire should be completely out and cold before you head in for the night, and be sure your grill has cooled down and the coals are extinguished as well.

Keep a Clean Home

Having a tidy home can actually help you avoid a house fire, so you really should keep up with those routine cleanings and organizational tasks. Excess clutter is only fuel to a growing house fire, and it can actually make it harder and more dangerous to get out of your home in an emergency situation if you are tripping over things or can’t get out of your home because an exit is blocked.

Lastly, keep your lint trap clean and clear of lint buildup and swap out your furnace filter with the change in season. These easy tasks can be overlooked, but play a major role in preventing house fires all across the country.

If you experience fire damage, call us at SERVPRO of Hattiesburg right away for a fast recovery.

Other News

View Recent Posts